Arizona Vacation 2015

The Grand Canyon!!

I had not been to the great state of Arizona since the young age of seven.  My best friend Susan has a daughter named Kylie who is a professional pole vaulter. Kylie lives with her boyfriend Jake, a former college pole vaulter himself, in Phoenix, AZ. They also own a beautiful, sweet dog named Gizmo! : )


I wanted to take Gizmo home with me! : )


Kylie is training to hopefully qualify for the Olympics!  I mentioned to Susan one day that it would be so much fun to visit, and enjoy some popular attractions like the Grand Canyon and a few of the beautiful spring training facilities that are in the greater Phoenix area.  Susan talked to Kylie and boy was I thrilled when she told me a vacation getaway was in store for us!!! It was a lot of fun planning our itinerary, but even more fun enjoying it!  I can't thank Kylie and Jake enough for their wonderful hospitality!!

We flew on Southwest Airlines out of Indianapolis on Saturday, March 21st.  I was pleasantly surprised by the newness of the plane. Having only flown with United and US Air in the past, I'm used to grungy and outdated designs. Many of their planes still have the ugly silver ash trays on the armrests that have been sealed shut.  How pretty-not.  Hard to believe plane cabins were once filled with smoke clouds.  Did that ever really happen??  I also took advantage of the complimentary Southwest wi-fi, which gave me access to some kick-ass musical playlists.  The Flight-Tracker interface was really cool.  It brings up a map on your device showing the exact current location of  your plane, along with MPH and remaining flight duration. When I wasn't jamming out to tunes I was giggling with Susan about this or that as our Arizona anticipation mounted!  Before we knew it we landed at Phoenix Sky Harbor airport!! When Susan's husband Kevin dropped us off at the Indianapolis airport it was about 50 degrees.  When we walked outside to meet Kylie and Jake on the pickup lane in AZ it was 85 degrees.  Hell yeah!!!!  As they say to a pitcher in baseball, "Bring the heat!!!!"

The first thing I noticed on the way to Kylie and Jake's apartment was how clean the highways were. Overpasses had stone lizards inlaid underneath.


Cool, huh?
The desert landscaping was very well-maintained.  There were species of trees, cacti and flowers that I had never seen before.  Also, although the temperatures would eventually reach the upper nineties, the humidity is non-existent, so you don't get that oppressive, sticky blanket of discomfort.

After eating a delicious and healthy dinner (Both Kylie and Jake are health food advocates and we learned a lot from them) we packed some smaller overnight bags and took off in Jake's Liberty Jeep for Williams, AZ. We had booked a hotel in this town, which is a little under an hour to the Grand Canyon.  Unfortunately, I had a terrible head cold which turned me into a sniveling fool the entire restless night I spent but I vowed to myself  that it was not going to stop me from enjoying one of our great nation's most visited attractions.
I was the first one up on Sunday and the hot shower helped to clear my nasal passages, along with approximately five different cold medicines coursing through my veins.  Susan told me I looked like death the night before.  Haha!  We ate a hot complimentary breakfast, checked out and took off for the canyon! The trail we went down was STEEP and had numerous switchbacks.

Kylie, Jake, Susan and me!  Before descending into the depths of hell-haha
Besties!  Kleenex stuffed in my pocket.  Baha!

Ok......

Had to pay attention on this hike down the canyon!


My New Balance running shoes are great for running....on a flat surface.  However, the worn tread was no match for the fine, loose gravel at times and I slipped twice, luckily close to the inner canyon wall and away from the looming precipice.  We hiked 3/4 of a mile down and back up.  It wasn't easy!  Next time, I want to go all the way to the bottom. Guess who is going to invest in some trail shoes.....  ; )

That's a long way down.
Careful Jake!


Needless to say, we were all hungry from our efforts and stopped for lunch and souvenir shopping.  Our trip also included visiting the Mary Colter Indian Watchtower.  This is a must-see attraction.  It is located in the Four Corners region of the canyon and is less crowded than the main viewing area.  Modeled after ancient ancestral Puebloans, its walls feature murals by Hopi artist Frank Kabotie.


The murals are fantastic!

 You can climb the eighty-eight stairs (there were at least eighty steps) inside and be awed by a breathtaking view of the turquoise Colorado River surrounded by the myriad colors of the cliffs that rise above it.  Don't miss this opportunity if you go, it is well worth the drive to that part of the canyon!

The walk up to the Watchtower

You can camp next to this magnificent river!

On Monday, Kylie had us meet her at the World Athletics Center in northern Phoenix. She trains here along with other elite track and field athletes from all over the world.  Susan and I had the pleasure of watching them work out, doing various drills to prepare their bodies for competition.


Kylie working out!
 Many of them came over to say hello to Susan because she is such a great mom.   Kylie's parents, Susan and Kevin, have faithfully supported Kylie and her brother Max in their athletic endeavors since they were kids. Now Kylie has the support of  many fans all across the nation!  I have no doubt she will do great things!  She has already set numerous records in pole vaulting.  Here is the link to her background.  It is quite impressive!  : )

Kylie's Bio


Kylie doing her thing! What a fantastic role model she is!


Susan and I went hiking on a few trails in the Phoenix Mountain Preserve.  We packed lunches and water.  It was a nice change of scenery from cold, wet Indiana.  Even though we chose the easy trails with moderate levels of elevation it was great exercise and we both enjoyed eating lunch under a few shade trees.  Yes, we stayed alert  for rattlesnakes!

One of many trails

A blooming cactus
We were starting to get hungry here. 

On Tuesday we had the pleasure of going to our first baseball spring training game at Hohokam Stadium in Mesa, AZ!  The arid mid-day weather was beautiful and so was the ballpark!  Hohokam is the spring training  location for the Oakland Athletics.  Susan and I were hoping to see Josh Phegley gear up behind the plate for the Athletics, since their two families are friends but unfortunately, he had caught the game before and we did not get the chance to see him play. Josh has a wonderful future ahead of him.  You might remember the grand slams he hit when he was first brought up with the White Sox a few years back!
Hohokam Stadium in Mesa, AZ

Pre-gaming!
Look at that sky!

Kris Bryant warming up his arm.

Cubbies stretching out.
Edwin Jackson.  Warming up did not help him.  He had a terrible outing.

 My favorite team, the Chicago Cubs, took the field that afternoon against the A's.  Chicago got trounced but we had a blast anyway!  When top prospect Kris Bryant hit his ninth spring training homer the Cubs fans went wild!  The sound of the ball coming off his bat blew me away! Later, when we were walking around I excitedly noticed that former Cubs pitching legend Fergie Jenkins was standing next to another fan for a camera shot.  Susan told me to go ask him if I could do the same thing but I was way too shy.  Haha!  She promptly walked up to him and sweetly asked if she could take our picture! I shook his hand and stood in awe next to him while Susan took this shot.  It's not every day you get to shake a legend's hand AND get a picture with him, too!  Thanks Susan!  And thank you Fergie!  


Me and the great Fergie Jenkins!  Sorry-couldn't afford a $30 Cubs hat.  Ha!



We moved to a better view in the late innings.  Kylie joined us too!  : )
After the game we all went to Old Town in Scottsdale which is full of quaint shops and restaurants.  I called my mother-in-law and told her she had to come experience it because she loves that kind of thing.

Kylie and Susan. : )
Shopping!!!


One evening we went to a pizza restaurant named Oregano's. Loved eating out on the patio! Our waitress served up some of the best thin crust pizza I've ever had!  And the half-baked cookie dessert pizza topped with scoops of vanilla ice cream melted in our mouths.  Make sure you go to this wonderful eatery. Great atmosphere and delicious food. Some other great places to eat were Postino's and The Chop Shoppe. That's the great thing about Phoenix.  Countless places to enjoy just about anything outside! We even walked up to the Dutch Brothers Coffee House after a morning walk and drank our flavored coffees at a stone table. No wonder 35,000 people move to this beautiful city every year. This is what Jake told us and now I know why!

When I woke up on Thursday I was super excited because I knew I would be going to Sloan Park (formerly Cubs Park) in Mesa to see the Cubs play the Los Angeles Angels!  It took awhile to get to the back $5 parking lot but our little black rental car was eventually parked by the nicest attendants who all wore turquoise phoenix string ties.  One looked just like George Strait.  I almost started to sing Troubadour to him.  ; )

 Troubadour

Kris Bryant, would be playing left field for the first time instead of his usual spot at third base.  Susan and I wasted no time in getting our picture taken in front of the marquee which is an exact replica of the one at Wrigley Field! 
Famous for a day!





The atmosphere was electric at Sloan Park.  Even after Albert Pujols hit a 3-run homer for the Angels.  It was a late afternoon game and people relaxed on the grassy berm with their hot dogs and beer.  I tried a Sierra Nevada which was pretty tasty.  The colder the beer, the better!  Although the concession prices were on the high side the food looked really good.  We brought our own snacks.  There was an issue about fans being able to bring in outside food at the beginning of the spring training season but the Cubs organization quickly rectified the situation.  People are now allowed to bring in a soft cooler with snacks and unopened bottles of water.  This is what Susan and I did to save a little.  I wanted to save my money for alcohol.  I love adult refreshments at a ballpark.  Ask Susan-haha.
No better way to spend the day!
It was hot!
The lineups! 
Ernie Bank's #14 being honored.
Kris Bryant at the plate.  He didn't do much this AB or the entire game-haha

Lights on!
Look at that Arizona sky! : )

Game almost over.  Beautiful sunset in the background.
It wasn't hard leaving after that first game.  Why?  Because I had scored tickets for Friday's game against the White Sox, too! Plus, when we got back to Phoenix, Jake and Kylie took us to a standup comedy show that featured some really funny dudes!

Friday's game was in the heat of the day so Susan and I were glad I had picked seats in section 102 in left field instead of out on the blistering berm again. They were all the way down on the rail so we had a great view!  We were sitting there laughing and taking selfies like this.....

Before the Sox fan invasion!




After only a few pitches into the game I looked up to my left and there were two older men with sleeveless White Sox shirts on who caught IMMEDIATE hell from the Cubs fans behind me!  Of course their seats just happened to be right next to ours! What luck!  Ha!  I shook their hands and we talked baseball for awhile occasionally throwing a barb or two at each other's teams but, for the most part, just enjoying the baseball.  They were both retirees from Chicago and funny as hell!  Our kind of fans!  lol! They even bought us some delicious margaritas!   Susan told them that her son Max used to play baseball at Wichita with Conner Gillaspie who was manning first base for the Sox during the game.  Around the 4th inning we decided to walk around a little to get more pictures.  Rail-hanging on the right field side enabled Susan to get a picture of Conner and for both of us to witness Cubs first baseman Anthony Rizzo blast a towering home run to straightaway center!  It was a thing of beauty.  That kid has some power as all baseball fans know and he is going to surpass his long ball total of 32 from last year!  Cubs fans are very excited about the offensive power which will be present this year for the Cubs, particularly when Kris Bryant gets brought back up.  Between him, Rizzo and Soler, along with solid hitting from the rest of the lineup, we are going to become the contenders we were meant to be!!  Even our pitchers hit monstrous homers! I love pitchers who can also swing a bat!  Who doesn't?  Chicago has the best!  Soak in the vibe from these pix....  : )

Wish it was still called Cubs Park!  : )

Jeff Samardzija aka The Shark before giving up three homers.  Not his day!
Check out Joyce from Wisconsin and her hat!   Had to get a pic with her!!!!  : ))))))
No score yet!


Anthony Rizzo getting ready to knock the leather off a ball!
When the game was over the mighty Cubs had beaten the sun-struck Sox and Susan and I sang Go Cubs Go with the thousands of other fans!  I sang at the top of my lungs like I always do and probably broke Susan's eardrum.  But she returned the favor when Conner came walking off the field and she kept screaming to get his attention.  Ballplayers are so stuck up. Ha!  I tried not to be sad as we pulled out of the parking lot but let's be honest.  I could go every day!  Make no mistake though, Wrigley Field is my first love and I have bleacher tickets for a Cubs/White Sox matchup in July to look forward to!!!!  I don't need AC in my car this summer-lol.  Give me Cubbie baseball instead!!!!  It's not hard for me to make poor financial decisions when it comes to my team.  Oh well...it's why I work.  For my family and for Cubbie baseball. <3

Saturday was our last day on this epic vacation.  Kylie and Jake finished it off with a bang by taking us to Pinnacle Peak for one last beautiful hike.  I'm never going to forget the view from this mountain trail.  Absolutely gorgeous!!  Here are some awesome pictures:
We could do this more often!!  



The rock formations are so unique!

Don't fall on that...
What a great time!

I am proud to say that we did not watch television ONCE during this fabulous vacation!  There was just too much to do outside and we enjoyed every minute!  I certainly hope we can return to experience all this wonderful state has to offer again!  It was hard to say goodbye to such a great time and such awesome hosts!

The return flight to Indianapolis was delayed by about an hour so Susan and I were able to catch a little of the Notre Dame game against Kentucky at the airport.  Eventually, we boarded the plane and watched the lights of Phoenix fade away....  : (

Until next time!!!!! : )   <3


If you are looking for a perfect vacation destination spot the state of Arizona is it! Susan and I made memories to last a lifetime!!!  : )

Comments

Popular Posts