My Love Affair With The Chicago Cubs







New bleachers are coming!!  And I'm going to be seated on one this year!

 My Twitter friend and blogger Andy Schmidt, (@ASchmidtSports), has asked a few female Cubs fans to talk about how they developed their passion for the team.  Here's a brief account of my particular love affair.

Alhough it was dad that took my sister and I to see our first Cubs game against the Astros in Houston, TX,  it was my husband Rick who took me to the Friendly Confines for the first time on October 1, 1988.  I still have my ticket.  It was only $6!  The Cubs played the Pittsburgh Pirates.  Some of the greats playing that year for the Cubs were Sandberg, Dawson, Grace, Maddux, and my then current crush, Rafael Palmeiro.  He belted his 8th homer of the season that afternoon.  The Pirates had the great Andy Van Slyke who hit his 25th homer in this game.  Andy was a badass!  Rick and I sat on the right field side in the warm October sunshine guzzling our beers and soaking it all in. I can't remember who smoked a foul into the seats right next to me but I will never forget Rick asking me why I didn't catch it!!!!  To this day he still thinks I should have caught it bare-handed!  Men....  ; ) The Cubbies won that day and we snapped some great pictures.   Thanks, honey, for taking me to the greatest ballpark in the world!!!!  We've gone to other games over the years with friends and our two daughters.   Last year we hit two awesome games at Wrigley and I have written about them in prior blog posts!   : )



My favorite Cubs players of all time are:


Ernie Banks

Kerry Wood

Ron Santo
These particular players all share/shared the same quality. Class.  And HUGE hearts.  I have pictures of them hanging in my Cubs cave.  : )


I love this room!   And I love my Cubbies!  : )


Ask anyone that knows me in person or my followers on Twitter who are also Cubs fans.  My loyalty for this team and ballpark is unwavering.  The two players I have chosen to be my personal favorites exemplified, and in the case of Kerry Wood, exemplify what being a Cub or a fan means.  You do not give up. You always show support. Most importantly, you remember that your legacy reaches far beyond your stats, fame or contracted worth.  It's the classy way you live your life that people remember most.  Stay classy fellow fans and Go Cubs!! 




Comments

Popular Posts