Ice Skating

How many of you know how to ice skate?
I had a pair that looked like these.


Remember how much harder it was to skate that first time on a razor-sharp blade instead of four wheels?  I busted my ass a lot on the ice growing up, trying to acquire good balance skills along with breakneck speed!

But one moonlit night in northern Indiana I almost bit the dust more seriously.....


By the light of the silvery moon

Deep River, located right behind our house, had recently overflowed its banks. Bitter cold temperatures had transformed the flooded ground into a frozen arena for our skating pleasure.  The clearing we skated on wasn't huge but big enough to pirouette and perform as well as Dorothy Hamill, or so we imagined.  A pair of outdoor floodlights mounted on the eaves of the roof lit up the wooded area and a full moon added to the magical atmosphere of a winter wonderland.

I can't remember why I was skating so recklessly around the perimeter of the clearing .  Trying to avoid the inconspicuous twig or rut in the ice, I howled at the moon and threw snowballs at my big sister, JJ.

The next thing I knew, I was flat on my back and looking into her eyes.  The moon peeked in and out of the frozen clouds.  I had just wiped out and hit my head really hard on the ice! 

"What's your name?",  JJ asked me.  She feared that I had  a concussion from the impact and claimed I blacked out for a second or two.

After a brief delay I replied, "Sue Coppinger." "And your name is Massive Thigh."  This was one of many nicknames given to her over the years as a token of my warped sense of humor.  We both breathed a sigh of relief and laughed in the frigid air.

Luckily, I recovered my senses quickly and felt really fortunate that I had not suffered a more serious injury.

I would love to buy some skates online and go ice skating again!  We have been to indoor arenas but I can't tell you the last time it was some place outside. Boston has some wonderful outdoor rinks that I definitely want to experience.  And if I fall and crack my head there will be plenty of fellow skaters to help me out!


Everything's funner outside!

There aren't too many things as exhilarating as ice skating!  It can take your breath away! When you start sailing along on the ice it feels like you are on an ocean of glass.  The last time we went to an indoor arena my husband Rick showed off his backward skating abilities.  He has always been a great skater whether it's on roller skates or ice skates!
 . 
Don't be afraid to try it if you don't know how.  Even if you fall a lot it is a blast!  I know that sounds like a lie but it's not.  Who cares if you can't skate like Scott Hamilton?  Hug a rail, hug a friend or even hug a stranger.  Get out there and skate!!! 






Comments

Popular Posts