A Birthday Trip To Great American Ballpark!


I love writing about my favorite team, the Chicago Cubs.  So naturally,  I want to share the birthday trip my husband Rick bought me this year to see them play the Cincinnati Reds!  My older sister JJ, who has tracked our family tree back to the beginning of time (haha), reminded me recently that our fifth grandfather on our mother's side, Ephraim Kibbey, was one of the founding fathers of the greater Cincinnati area.  Cool!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephraim_Kibbey

It started out with me looking at the game schedule for the Cubs around my birthday, July 21st.  The Reds would be their opponent at Great American Ballpark! I've always liked the Reds, too.  I grew up watching the Big Red Machine win a lot of games.  Johnny Bench is my favorite catcher of all time.  His jersey number, five, is also my favorite number, because of the way he played the game.  We were originally going to attend the night game on the 21st but Rick couldn't get off of work until Wednesday so we decided to drive up Tuesday evening and go to the day game on July 22nd. Nothing like the freedom of being off work and driving down the open road!

We love to travel!


 I used my IHG reward points to book a room at the Holiday Inn Express on the west side of Cincinnati.  It was only 15 minutes from the park. When I checked in the nice desk clerk said we would receive a free upgrade to a suite!  It was so big it even had a walk-in closet which we didn't even use other than the bench inside.  We were on the fifth floor and the sunset view of the Ohio Valley was spectacular! One of the things I enjoy most about hotels are the comfortable beds.  The king-sized bed in the bedroom of the suite cradled our work and road-weary bodies through the night.  The hotel also had an outdoor pool but it wasn't heated. The air temperature had dropped too much for swimming.  Besides, we were stuffed from the Skyline Chili we'd eaten in Batesville, Ohio!  If you like different types of chili sauce you will most likely enjoy the Greek sauce that tops spaghetti at this restaurant chain.  The recipe dates back to Nicholas Lambrinides, who immigrated to Cincinnati from Greece in 1912.  The special sauce, which many patrons believe contains chocolate and cinnamon among its "secret" ingredients is quite unique.  Some diners don't care for it at all claiming it wreaks havoc with their digestive system.  It was indeed a cause of unsettlement with me the next morning but I loved it anyway.

 It wasn't just the chili that made my stomach nervous that night though!  It was more due to the Cubs game  I was watching on TV!  They trailed the Reds by two runs in the top of the ninth inning. I was sulking on Twitter because I figured they were going to lose on my birthday.  Rookie Cubs catcher, Kyle Schwarber, a Middletown, Ohio native, stepped up to the plate and belted a towering home run into the right field seats and tied the game!  I think I probably woke up all the other guests in the hotel because I was screaming and jumping up and down like a toddler!  My family is used to this type of fervent Cubs fan behavior exhibited by those of us afflicted with this disease of hopeless addiction.  The only cure is a world series win!!!  Well, Mr. Schwarber wasn't done for the night.  In the 13th inning he smoked a tie-breaking homer into right field AGAIN!!!! Kyle was in beast mode going 4-7 while knocking in four RBI's!  The Cubs won on my birthday after all, 5-4, even though it was almost into the next day!  I'm glad I stayed up!!!!!!!  : )

Here's a highlight!  Kyle, Cubs fans love you!  Keep those awesome hits coming!!!

http://m.mlb.com/video/v279722483

The next morning Rick and I had plenty of time for breakfast before donning our Cubs attire, once again, and heading out the door to drive to GABP.  Parking was a reasonable $15 at the Freedom Center garage and it was well attended by friendly assistants.  We walked up the steps, crossed the street and there we were at the main entrance to the park!!!  It was gorgeous!  I asked a pretty blonde Cubs fan to take our picture.


Ready to go inside!


We had about an hour to kill before the game started so we bought some beers and walked around. Beer prices were pretty high, of course.  We paid $13 for 22 oz cups.  I shouldn't have guzzled them so quickly.  Ha! Here are some pictures of this beautiful and well-designed park.  The only thing I didn't care for was how high the nosebleed seats were.



Pringles Man watching over the fans!

Wish we could have been at the Derby!  : )

The famous toothbrush lights

What a cool building!  



You can probably guess what river this is.
This is red I can tolerate!  Not Cardinal red-ugh!


 
Almost as pretty as Wrigley


 Rick scored our seats from his work rewards program in section 113, row C.  We were very close to the field!!!!  Awesome!!!

Bryant at three-a little distracting.  ; )




Jorge Soler, El Sol,  warming up!



Kyle Schwarber before he got a BH!

Derby winner Todd Frazier had a very good day.

Loved our seat location!

Nice jumbotron!

Rick and I enjoying the beautiful day together!! 

Unfortunately, Kyle Hendricks had a rough outing and the bullpen didn't do much better.  The Cubs took a hard loss 9-1.  Not only did their offense get shut down, Joe Maddon got ejected for arguing about a balk call against Kyle.  It was not a productive showing but we did get to see Schwarbs belt yet another hit! And we didn't spill our beers during the seventh inning stretch.  A major accomplishment for me.  The atmosphere was great and the weather was perfect!!!

I told Rick it was the greatest present and I would love to go back.  Next year. : )  Right now, I'm saving a few dollars and days off of work for the possibility of postseason games at Wrigley Field.  Who knows what  will happen.....  : )   All in favor say aye!  Go Cubs!!!!


Comments

Popular Posts