My First Solo Flight To Ft. Myers, Florida!

Yes, I have flown with my husband Rick a few times over the years but never alone!  To say I was a tad bit nervous is an understatement because my family can vouch for the fact that I get hyped up over just about everything, especially my favorite team in the entire world, the Chicago Cubs!  A solo flight would prove to be no exception.

Rick had already driven to Ft. Myers, Fl a few days before my flight departure.  His parents and brother live there and he had some things to haul down in his Chevy truck.  The two-day road trip was successful, other than the beach chairs that he left at a Super 8 hotel in GA.  They are being held for us to pick up on our return trip.  That's good!

On the morning of my flight I showered and put on the outfit I had set out days before.  Shorts, Cubs shirt, Cubs jacket and to top it off, my Wrigley Field pendant, which I just love!  : )




I made sure I had my Delta flight confirmation and my cheap carry on bag I got for free from an Ulta perfume purchase before I jumped in the Rendezvouz and drove to my daughter Natalie's apartment . She would see me off at the Indianapolis airport and drive my car back home.  We arrived at the airport and I excitedly punched in the data at the Delta kiosk to retrieve my two boarding passes.  I was a little nervous about flying into Atlanta because it is a very busy and congested airport. Natalie and I had an early lunch together at McDonalds and after hitting a few airport shops I told her I had better get past the security checkpoint and go to my departure gate!  She told me I was way too early and rolled her eyes as I kissed her pretty cheeks goodbye.  I like to drive my kids crazy because I worry about timeliness a lot. 

As it turns out, I really wasn't that early because not too long after arriving at the gate they began the boarding process.  First class, Skyclub members, etc, until the announcer reached the bottom of the barrel, zone 3 boarders.  Economy class, lower dwellers on the travel totem pole.

I took my position in line and a friendly lady came up to me and asked if I needed her Chicago Cubs cell phone case.  I laughed and told her my old one was all stretched out for some unknown reason.  Ebay seller be damned! She was a really cool lady who told me she used to live only three blocks from Wrigley Field!  When I asked her why she ever moved she quipped because she found a new husband.  Bahahaha!  We were exchanging pleasantries when an inebriated man in a ball cap fell in line behind me.  He grinned and said he hoped his seat on the flight would be near mine.  Fortunately, he was seated in the row in front and I did my best to good-naturedly tolerate his drunken comments and gestures for the duration of the flight.  Good thing I had my ipod to escape with! I was seated next to a beautiful girl with some of the longest eyelashes I have ever seen!  She was headed to Memphis to meet up with her boyfriend.  She slept for most of the flight but when the plane encountered some turbulence coming into Atlanta she woke up and we both put our hands in the air like we were riding a frickin' coaster at Six Flags.  After we landed, I promptly proceeded to hit my head like I do EVERY time I get up to get my carry on bag out of the overhead bin.  You would think I would learn by now-sad.

The first thing I did after hitting the ladies room at Hartsfield-Jackson International was check my gate status for the connecting flight to Ft. Myers, Fl.  I distinctly remember after checking it twice that it said gate B28.  I rolled my carry-on down the escalator and to the tram.  It would prove to be a battle trying to keep it in an upright position.  You get what you don't pay for. I was riding another escalator up to the B concourse and who did I see right in front of me again?  The nice lady from Chicago!!  We had another pleasant conversation about this and that.  I told her my girls and I were going up in a few weeks to see another Cubs game. She heartily recommended that we have breakfast at Lou Mitchell's restaurant and bakery. They give Milk Duds to all of their patrons!  Milk Duds are my favorite candy!  Hell yeah!!!  Doughnut holes are also served with the "world's finest coffee."  My kind of place...  : )  I told her I had really enjoyed talking to her and to have a wonderful trip down to wherever in Florida she told me she was headed.  Yes, I forgot where she told me...We separated, yet again.

I decided to check the gate status for good measure, and I'll be damned if it didn't say A28!  What the hell?  They changed it on me just to add to my nervousness!  I cursed under my breath and backtracked to concourse A.  Even though I had an hour to get there I still rushed because that's the way I roll-frantic.  haha

My haste was a waste though because some foul weather delayed the boarding on the connecting flight anyway.  My seat assignment got bumped up a little and I had the good fortune to sit between a pleasant elderly couple from Ohio.   The gentleman made me slightly nauseous when he pulled out a pungent corned beef sandwich and proceeded to devour it in front of me. It was hard to ignore his lip-smacking enjoyment.  All I wanted was complimentary pretzels and a cocktail.  This was my view before the weather changed!







Our pilot had warned us if the flight ran into a rough patch that the beverage cart would need to be put away.  Boy was I lucky!  Right after I ordered a Sky Breeze cocktail the pilot's calm voice stated that turbulence was forthcoming and he ordered the stewardesses back to their seats.  I grabbed my credit card and cocktail from the nice-looking male attendant and poured the Sky vodka into the concoction. After giving it a cursory stir I hastily gulped it down, afraid that a sudden drop in the flight would cause it to become airborne and land on my face instead of down the hatch!  The elderly man said, "yeah, that's a good drink."  haha  I had a pleasant vodka buzz as the smooth landing into Fort Myers transpired.  Rick was waiting for me and we have had a great time in sunny Florida!  My first solo flight was a success! 







Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts