Almost a Grandma

 It's Saturday, November 14th, 2020.  I'm the first one up. Last night, our family had a really nice dinner from Cracker Barrel to celebrate Thanksgiving a little early.  Why early, you ask?  Because our youngest daughter, Natalie, is due to deliver our first grandchild, no later than November 22nd!  That's her scheduled induction date.  Of course, baby Aspen may decide to surprise us all and arrive before then!

We ordered a curbside dinner due to the fact that COVID cases have increased in Indiana. The girls, their husbands, and Rick and I enjoyed a delicious meal together at home where it's safer.  We were sort of rowdy, too.  That's ok because we always are.

Natalie is an RN and has been working 12-hour night shifts.  Her wonderful coworkers recently surprised her with a baby shower when she came in.  They are a great group of people.  We discussed how a supportive work team can really make or break your employment satisfaction.  My daughters and I are blessed with some special coworkers and management.  That's one good thing that has come from this horrible virus.  Most employees have grown close/closer, knowing they have each other's back when stress levels run high.

 I just can't wait to hold that little bundle of joy and kiss the top of her head when Nat and Lucas bring her home!  My oldest daughter, Laura, is so disappointed that she can't be at the hospital when her little sister is in labor.  Rick and I are equally disappointed.  We are praying that Lucas will still be allowed to stay at her side during the most important time of their young adult lives-when they welcome a child they have created together into the world. The most important thing is that baby and mom stay protected.  At least we'll have video to stay in touch!

This year has had a lot of setbacks for many and we are all well aware that even though the promise of a vaccine is on the horizon, it will be a while before some sort of normalcy is achieved.

Sadly, we lost two family cats this year.  Leo, our sweet, black cat,  passed away in April at our house.  I had just written a poem about him because we found out that he had a stomach mass two weeks prior to his death.  Laura is a vet and that was one horrible day when she came outside from her clinic and tearfully relayed the bad news.


 Jasmine, Laura’s loving companion for  21 years since she got her at age nine, also recently passed away.  Luckily, we were both able to be with them the day they crossed over on the rainbow bridge.  I believe we will see them again.  



The love and companionship of our pets has become even more important and comforting in these trying times.  When I was out of work back in March, Leo would sometimes lie next to me as I was writing poems for my poetry book.  Ode to Leo is the first poem in the compilation.  How I miss his chill demeanor and the way he could make me feel better just having him around.  The day he died he was snuggling with me on the bed and his eyes didn't have the same spark that they usually did.  I wish I would have known to spend even more time with him.  He passed away later that night. Laura came home and got his pawprint in clay for me.  We buried him in the woods next to our other pets.  We've had a few family pet funerals over the years.  This one was extra hard for me. A solar lantern illuminates his gravesite.  Sometimes I walk out to it and talk to him.  

Our lives are on the verge of changing drastically in just a few short days.  Rick and I remarked that it's so wild to see your children, who grew up quite quickly in retrospect, prepare to become parents themselves.  It gets you thinking about cycles, patterns, and the realization that there is nothing more important than family.  Here's a beautiful picture of Nat and Lucas. We are so happy for them!



I'm excited to report that I have a young adult novel in the works! Writing, for me, is both challenging and satisfying.  It's a science fiction/fantasy themed story. I'll keep you updated on its progress!

My favorite genres are science fiction and true crime.  What are yours?

Baby pictures are coming in my next blog!  I'm almost a grandma!!!!

Stay safe everyone and don't forget to follow my Facebook page.  I'm planning another giveaway promotion for Random Reflections:  Poems From a Hoosier Girl.  Currently available in paperback and ebook download on Amazon.

https://www.facebook.com/susandraperauthor/?view_public_for=110002434162489

Comments

Popular Posts